Custom Search

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

START TO TRONA (MILE 0 TO MILE 153.8)

TIME SPLITS FROM 508 WEBSITE
PHOTO CREDITS BELOW ARE FROM THE 508 WEBSITE COPYRIGHT ADVENTURECORPS



START TO CALIFORNIA CITY (MILE 0 TO MILE 83.6)




ACTING GOOFY AT BREAKFAST




PITSNAKE AND VIREO




First stage went well. I was on Portia. There is a lot of climbing in the first stage (over 3,000 feet in the first 25 miles) but I find I like it on the P3. My goal for the stage was to be within 5 minutes of my 2008 PR which was 4 hours and 35 minutes. My legs felt good and rested.  I felt fit. It was a good start to a 500 mile race.



SAN FRANCISQUITO CANYON






ROLLING INTO CALIFORNIA CITY 4 hours 41 minutes




CALIFORNIA CITY TO TRONA (MILE 83.6 TO MILE 153.8)






It was on this stage that I had issues with my nutrition. I was drinking the same thing I usually drink. I just added a little something extra  I think that 370 calories an hour was too much. I use CarboPro powder which gives me 224 calories of Maltodextrin without electrolytes, fat, or protein. I then threw in a serving of Fluid, which had 128 calories, some sodium and protein. I think I was taking in too many calories per hour based on my intensity. I eventually got an upset stomach. I spent 15 precious minutes off the bike puking. Brandy and crew were great. I went without calories for a long time. I started feeling better and then gradually started introducing calories again. As time and the miles passed I was back up to full strength in my feedings.




I didn't partake in a burrito from the Trona Time Station like I did last year. I just wasn't up to it. I really wasn't hungry either. But Brandy bought a burrito anyway and painstakingly picked all the onions out of the salsa fresca. I get heartburn from onions even when not riding. Thank you babe but I really wasn't hungry.



What I remember the most of this time station was the damn crosswinds. It was so scary doing some of the descents. In hindsight, I probably should have changed my front wheel from a Zipp 808 to a lower profile wheel -- which I brought with me for just that reason. So why didn't I use it? Because part of me loves the risk and the danger of descending at 55+ mph and getting jostled around.






I got into to Trona at 1534 or 3:34 for you civilian types;) or 8 hours and 34 minutes total elapsed time. I was only 12 minutes off my Personal Record (PR). I didn't think the tailwinds were as strong as they were in 2008. Hence, I was quite pleased with my efforts thus far. And if you factor in the 15 minutes I was stopped with a feeling of malaise then I would have been right on track with my PR. But delays and an occasional upset stomach are all part of Ultras.



MORE TO FOLLOW PLEASE BE PATIENT

2 comments:

  1. Woah.. 370 calories per hour would make me puke too.. I've spent a huge amount of training effort to really pin down my calorie intake; For me, I'm able to operate best at ~150 calories per hr under most circumstances; especially when using a fat content fuel (Like many thin athletes, I don't tolerate the fat content fuel well).. With that amount, I'm able to add calories only when I get a hunger pang.. I found that it's easy, and not at all performance detracting, to add calories.. But with an over calorie feeling-like-I'm-going-to puke-event, it's impossible to effeciently take away calories..

    That said however, my experience and resume pales as insignificant when set next to yours.. Just an observation/comparison George..

    Glad to have seen you at Santa Clarita.. Nice job at the 508..

    We really got bogged down in DV.. My team mate took over 11 hrs to get to Shoshone.. That stage was tough..

    After that, I think we weren't far behind you.. Far enough though.. I was really hoping to see you at 29 P's.. But we got stalled again on the last stage.. My partner really struggled with the final slog.. No worries though.. We finished and got the medal and the jersey.. Sweet..!

    Later Bro..

    Eric T..
    Thrasher..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Willy is giving you the secret Jerboa hi sign.

    ReplyDelete